Since June 2021, adults aged 21 and older in New Mexico have been able to legally own and consume cannabis for recreational purposes. It is allowed for residents of El Paso and other parts of Texas to make purchases from licensed merchants in New Mexico; nevertheless, it is against the law to transport any amount of these items back into Texas because they are still illegal there.
When will recreational cannabis sales start in New Mexico?
The first of April 2022 is expected to mark the beginning of recreational cannabis sales in the state of New Mexico. In the meanwhile, the Cannabis Control Division, which is in charge of determining the policies and laws that will govern the cannabis business, has established a few fundamental guidelines for cannabis manufacturers and merchants.
How much cannabis can you legally buy in New Mexico?
Residents of New Mexico who are at least 21 years old and who meet the requirements of the ″New Mexico Cannabis Regulation Act″ are permitted to possess and acquire up to two ounces of cannabis, sixteen grams of cannabis extract, or up to 800 milligrams of edible cannabis in a single transaction. Residents of the state are permitted to keep a larger quantity of cannabis in their residences.
Is weed legal in New Mexico in 2021?
- On March 31, 2021, the Cannabis Regulation Act was ultimately approved by the New Mexico Legislature.
- On June 29, 2021, the legislation that made it lawful to possess up to two ounces of cannabis or its equivalent in other forms, such as 16 grams of concentrated marijuana or 800 milligrams of edibles, went into effect.
- This law also made it permissible to consume 800 milligrams of edibles.
On the same day, growing cannabis at home was become legal.
Are marijuana dispensaries open in New Mexico?
- New Mexico has medical cannabis shops that are now operational, and the state will allow recreational sales of cannabis to begin on April 1, 2022.
- Patients who are approved to use marijuana for medicinal purposes are permitted under the law to purchase up to 8 ounces of marijuana every three months.
- Dispensaries in New Mexico are open to patients from other states who are just passing through the state.