How to apply
- Check the Weather: If rain is predicted within the next 24 hours, reapply the next day.
- Fill and Set Spreader: A lawn spreader is required to apply Scotts® Turf Builder® Weed & Feed.
- Apply to Moist Grass: Before applying, ensure that the grass is wet from dew or rain.
How is Scotts weed and feed applied in the fall?
For optimal results, ensure that your grass is damp from dew or rain, since this aids particles stick to weed leaves. We recommend applying this product with a Scotts® spreader. Use a setting of 3-14 on Scotts® broadcast and rotary spreaders. For Scotts ® drop spreaders, a setting of 6 is recommended.
Should Fertilizer Be Applied Before or After Rain? Does it matter whether fertilizer is applied before a big rain? Yes, it does. Heavy precipitation might wash away the fertilizer before it has a chance to break down and be absorbed by the soil. This is particularly the case on steep slopes.
When should I water after Scotts Turf Builder application?
When to Water Grass Following the Application of Scotts Turf Builder By Audrey Lynn Updated on 14 December 2018 The lawn and garden products sold by Scotts Miracle-Gro include hundreds of Turf Builder fertilizers, seeds, and grass soil. Fertilizers from Turf Builder may be packed alone or in conjunction with other substances, such as weed killer, and are available in granular form or as a spray that connects to a garden hose.
- As the product is sprayed on the grass, the liquid fertilizer is mixed with water, reducing the need for extra watering.
- A drop spreader is optimal for uniformly delivering granular fertilizer.
- The settings vary by type and brand of spreader, but they are mentioned on the product label.
- Both Scotts Turf Builder and Super Turf Builder fertilizers have identical directions for application and watering.
All varieties of Super Turf Builder include slightly more nutrients for the grass than standard Turf Builder products. Both should be watered in after application if the temperature is more than 90 degrees Fahrenheit or if no rain is forecast for several days.
After putting “Summerguard”-labeled Turf Builder products to a dry grass, they must be completely soaked with water. The “Winterguard” fertilizer may be applied to damp or dry grass, however it will begin functioning more rapidly if watered in after application. Iron-containing Turf Builder may be put to a moist or dry grass, but it must be soaked in quickly.
If the temperature is over 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the grass should be watered promptly. Crabgrass is difficult to control, especially once it germinates, therefore pre-emergent treatment is typically the most effective method for eradicating it. Turf Builder products containing herbicides for crabgrass management should be watered in unless rain is forecast within two to three days.
As the name says, weed and feed combinations destroy weeds without hurting the grass and supply nutrients to the lawn at the same time. Turf Builder products branded “weed and feed” should be applied to a lawn that is already moist, so either water the lawn well the day before to application or apply weed and feed products when the grass is still damp from dew.
When weeds are actively developing in a lawn, weed-and-feed treatments are most effective. After applying Scotts Turf Builder for New Lawns, the area should be softly sprayed with water. Apply Turf Builder Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer prior to the initial watering of a new lawn.
- As with Turf Builder products for established lawns, Weed and Feed for new grass should be administered when dew or prior watering has left the grass damp.
- If the product contains a herbicide for crabgrass control, it may be sprayed to a dry lawn, but it must be watered in if rain is not expected within two or three days.
With so many various varieties of grass, it’s tempting to just take any fertilizer and go, but doing so can be disastrous. Even within the Turf Builder product family, some formulations may have a negative impact on particular grass kinds. Turf Builder and Super Turf Builder products labeled Summerguard or Winterguard are suitable for all lawns.
Turf Builder and Super Turf Builder products labeled Weed and Feed – including Winterguard and New Grass with Weed Preventer – should not be used on St. Augustine or floratam grasses (Stenotaphrum secundatum), hardy in USDA plant hardiness zones 8 through 10, or bent grass (Agrostis spp. Follow all cautions on the label of your Scotts Miracle-Gro product, and keep children and dogs away from treated areas until water or rain has washed the fertilizer into the soil and the grass is dry.
When to Water Grass Following the Application of Scotts Turf Builder