After the third mowing of the season, when grass and weeds are actively developing, apply to southern grasses.
When is Scotts Turf Builder to be used?
Apply Scotts® Turf Builder® Annual Program Spring between April and June, but at least 6 to 8 weeks after applying the Early Spring product, to assist your grass continue to flourish during the spring and to eliminate invasive broadleaf weeds.
Scotts Weed and Feed facts YOU DID NOT KNOW!! // Is there a difference and How to apply it.
Do You Cut the Grass and Weeds Prior to Using Weed & Feed? By Sara DeBerry Updated on November 28 Most retailers refer to the application of a pesticide and fertilizer combination as “weed and feed” Weed and feed may be an efficient and straightforward method for establishing a strong grass and a healthy-looking yard.
- Each weed and feed product may have various instructions, and it is essential to carefully follow the label’s recommendations.
- Off-label applications, such as raising the concentration or treatment rate beyond the guidelines on the label, may not only be detrimental to your lawn, but also unlawful.
- It is advised that you mow the lawn a few days prior to applying weed and feed and wait a few days following application before mowing again.
This ensures that the herbicide – the “weed” component of “weed and feed” – has sufficient time to be absorbed by the leaves of the weeds and begin to have its effect. It is possible to combat weeds by mowing height, but a delicate balance must be maintained between preventing weeds from going to seed and cutting the grass too short.
When using a mower deck height that is too high, weeds may develop and produce seeds. In contrast, if you set the mowing height too low, you will harm and weaken the turf, creating openings for new weeds to invade the yard. Use the cutting height suggested by your local extension agent for the type of grass you have.
If you have a serious weed infestation and seed heads are beginning to appear in your yard, try bagging your clippings to prevent the spread of seeds before applying a weed and feed. Leave the clippings on the grass the next time you mow the lawn after treatment.
- They will aid in mulching the turf, and the remaining weed and feed granules will be spread throughout the mowing area.
- The same holds true for clippings treated with a liquid; plant material containing residual chemicals will decompose and release them back into the soil.
- Weed and feed treatments to a whole yard are only required if the entire yard contains weeds.
If the weeds are only present in certain locations, such as around gutters or beneath trees, use a fertilizer that does not include a herbicide and treat the problem weed areas individually with the appropriate herbicide. Contact your local extension agent for assistance identifying weed species.
Other lawn issues, such as insect damage, over- or under-watering, and animal damage, can also weaken your grass and make it susceptible to weed infestation. Look for big patches of discolouration, grass that is dead or withering, or thin spots. One of them might be an insect or fungal signal. Utilize the website of your local extension office to determine your lawn’s unique concerns, and then address them accordingly.
You may discover that by just watering your grass less, you can inhibit the growth of weeds or fungi. A good grass is dense, and weeds have difficulty growing in dense lawns. Do You Cut the Grass and Weeds Prior to Using Weed & Feed?
Does Scotts Turf Builder require initial watering?
When to Water Grass Following the Application of Scotts Turf Builder By Audrey Lynn Updated on 14 December 2018 The lawn and garden products sold by Scotts Miracle-Gro include hundreds of Turf Builder fertilizers, seeds, and grass soil. Fertilizers from Turf Builder may be packed alone or in conjunction with other substances, such as weed killer, and are available in granular form or as a spray that connects to a garden hose.
- As the product is sprayed on the grass, the liquid fertilizer is mixed with water, reducing the need for extra watering.
- A drop spreader is optimal for uniformly delivering granular fertilizer.
- The settings vary by type and brand of spreader, but they are mentioned on the product label.
- Both Scotts Turf Builder and Super Turf Builder fertilizers have identical directions for application and watering.
All varieties of Super Turf Builder include slightly more nutrients for the grass than standard Turf Builder products. Both should be watered in after application if the temperature is more than 90 degrees Fahrenheit or if no rain is forecast for several days.
- After putting “Summerguard”-labeled Turf Builder products to a dry grass, they must be completely soaked with water.
- The “Winterguard” fertilizer may be applied to damp or dry grass, however it will begin functioning more rapidly if watered in after application.
- Iron-containing Turf Builder may be put to a moist or dry grass, but it must be soaked in quickly.
If the temperature is over 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the grass should be watered promptly. Crabgrass is difficult to control, especially once it germinates, therefore pre-emergent treatment is typically the most effective method for eradicating it. Turf Builder products containing herbicides for crabgrass management should be watered in unless rain is forecast within two to three days.
As the name says, weed and feed combinations destroy weeds without hurting the grass and supply nutrients to the lawn at the same time. Turf Builder products branded “weed and feed” should be applied to a lawn that is already moist, so either water the lawn well the day before to application or apply weed and feed products when the grass is still damp from dew.
When weeds are actively developing in a lawn, weed-and-feed treatments are most effective. After applying Scotts Turf Builder for New Lawns, the area should be softly sprayed with water. Apply Turf Builder Food for New Grass Plus Weed Preventer prior to the initial watering of a new lawn.
As with Turf Builder products for established lawns, Weed and Feed for new grass should be administered when dew or prior watering has left the grass damp. If the product contains a herbicide for crabgrass control, it may be sprayed to a dry lawn, but it must be watered in if rain is not expected within two or three days.
With so many various varieties of grass, it’s tempting to just take any fertilizer and go, but doing so can be disastrous. Even within the Turf Builder product family, some formulations may have a negative impact on particular grass kinds. Turf Builder and Super Turf Builder products labeled Summerguard or Winterguard are suitable for all lawns.
- Turf Builder and Super Turf Builder products labeled Weed and Feed – including Winterguard and New Grass with Weed Preventer – should not be used on St.
- Augustine or floratam grasses (Stenotaphrum secundatum), hardy in USDA plant hardiness zones 8 through 10, or bent grass (Agrostis spp.
- Follow all cautions on the label of your Scotts Miracle-Gro product, and keep children and dogs away from treated areas until water or rain has washed the fertilizer into the soil and the grass is dry.
When to Water Grass Following the Application of Scotts Turf Builder
Is the use of Scotts Turf Builder too late?
Apply autumn fertilizer once between August and November, just before winter, 6 to 8 weeks after the summer application. Now is the time to apply the Scotts® Turf Builder® Annual Program Fall product if you have been following this regimen.